Sunday 27 September 2015

Invisible Cities: Influence Map


Here are my inspirations that were crammed inside my brain at the time I was continuing developing the Invisible Cities thumbnails, though I am really eager to seek other ideas and opportunities through analysing more of Calvino's texts and exploring concept artists in the books featured in the project brief. The main themes behind my vision are bright, harmonious colours and textures, child-like characters and environments, and simplified and /or energetic shapes and movements.
World expos really are more inspirational to me than anything else in the world right now, ever since I discovered the build-up to the Shanghai Expo back in 2009 - it was like discovering blown up children's playgrounds and toy boxes that looked like the ultimate escape, to discover new ideas and bind with other people in friendly and peaceful ways. I even think architecture like world expos drives characters and storytelling [by its colours, shapes, textures, pathways, etc.], how different formations can depict different adventures one can encounter. When I listen to music from artists such as Moby, Radiohead and Genesis, I can imagine lands and storyboards from each track I listen to - e.g. ambient music, experimental music, concept albums, musicals, etc.

Textures & Colours - Sweets, Sunflower Field, Toy Box, Forest, Topical Beach & Palm Trees, Cobblestones, Wall Paint
Architecture - Lisbon [Portugal] 1998, Seville [Spain] 1992, Hannover [Germany] 2000, Brazil Favelas, London 2012 Opening Ceremony, Hundertwasser [Austria], Sanrio Puroland [Tokyo], Shanghai [China] 2010, Hersheypark [Pennsylvania, USA]
Illustrators - Super Bust a Move [Taito, Tokyo], Journey [That Game Company, Los Angeles], Super Mario Sunshine [Nintendo, Tokyo], The Amazing World of Gumball [Boulder, Dublin], Javier Mariscal [Spain], Otl Aicher [Germany]
Albums - Play [Moby, USA, 1999], Kid A [Radiohead, UK, 2000], Selling England by the Pound [Genesis, UK, 1973]

No comments:

Post a Comment